Post Op Forms: Post Op Instructions (Sinus)
Because of the close relationship between upper back teeth and the sinus, a communication between the sinus and mouth sometimes results from surgery. Certain precautions will assist healing and we ask that you faithfully follow these instructions:
- Take prescriptions as directed.
- Do not forcefully spit for several days.
- Do not smoke for several days.
- Do not use a straw for several days.
- Do not forcefully blow your nose for at least two weeks, even though your sinus may feel “stuffy” or there may be some nasal drainage.
- Try not to sneeze; it will cause undesired sinus pressure. If you must sneeze, keep your mouth open.
- Eat only soft foods for several days, always trying to chew on the opposite side of your mouth.
- Do not rinse vigorously for several days. Gentle salt water swishes may be used.
Slight bleeding from the nose is not uncommon for several days after surgery.
Please keep our office advised of any changes in your condition, especially if drainage or pain increases. It is important that you keep all future appointments until this complication has resolved.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact our office at: Institute of Facial and Oral Surgery Phone Number (703) 729-0077